Part of the Union-Castle Line, the SS Carlisle Castle was built in 1913 by Northumberland Shipbuilding Co at Newcastle. She was originally built as the Holtye for FS Holland and Company and purchased by Union-Castle in 1915 who renamed her Carlisle Castle.
On 14th February 1918 she was torpedoed and sunk by UB57 under the command of Johannes Lohs while carrying grain, general cargo and munitions between Portland, Maine and London. Alongside the SS War Monarch, she was sunk the same day some 8 nautical miles east by north of the Royal Sovereign lightship in the English Channel with one loss of life:
- Walker, John Maxwell (Fourth Engineer Officer) aged 25
Diving the wreck today, the bows to the south west and upside down, standing 14M high. She was also transporting munitions the USA and white phosphorus ‘cheese wedges’ can be found. Take care and leave phosphorus in the water.
- Dive 125